Practicing these stretches every day will help reset your spine and correct posture.
8 Best Stretches to Reset Spine Health
1) Side Stretch
- In a standing position, reach your arm over your head to one side of your body and repeat on the other side.
- Slowly alternate from side to side for 10 reps. Reaching just a little bit further each time. You should feel the stretch down the side of your body.
2) Cat Cow
- Start with on all fours on the ground – wrists under your shoulders and knees under your hips.
- On the inhale, lift your chest up, contract your lower back and feeling a stretch your abs.
- On the exhale, push against the ground with your hands. Your shoulder blades should be apart, core tight.
- Slowly alternate between each movement for 10 reps.
3) Seated Side Stretch
- Find a comfortable seated position. You may sit in a kneeling position with the tops of your feet flat on the ground or sit cross-legged.
- Place your right hand on the ground. Reach your left hand up and over your body. Your chest should be open, head tilted up towards the ceiling. Feel the stretch down the side of your body. Repeat this stretch on the other side as you follow your breath.
- Slowly alternate from side to side for 10 reps. Reaching just a little bit further as your muscles begin to warm up.
4) Seated Cat Cow
- In a seated position, place your hands on your knees.
- On the inhale, lift your chest up and bend back. Head tilted up towards the ceiling.
- On the exhale, pull your body away from your knees.
5) Seated Crossed Arms
- In a seated position, place your hands on opposite knees with your right arm on top. Leaning your body towards the right side.
- Repeat this stretch on the other side with your left hand on top.
- Slowly alternate from side to side for 10 reps.
6) Seated Butterfly Side Stretch
- Start in a seated position with your feet together, knees open, hands holding your feet. Adjust by bringing your feet away from your body to make it a little easier or bring them closer for a deeper stretch.
- Actively press your knees down towards the ground.
- With your right hand holding your feet, raise your left hand up and over your body. Feeling the stretch in your groin and down the side of your body.
- Hold for 20-30 seconds and repeat on the other side.
7) Contract Relax
One of my favourite stretches from the beachbody Insanity program (1).
- Start in a wide squat position, feet facing forward. Place your hands on both knees.
- On the inhale, press against your knees to lift your chest up and contract your lower back.
- On the exhale, press against your knees to bring your back up towards the ceiling.
- Alternate as you follow your breath. Repeat for 10 reps.
8) Full Body Roll Up
- Starting in a forward fold position, slowly roll your spine up for 4 seconds. Moe one vertebrae at a time keeping your chin tucked into your chest until you are in a standing position.
Do these stretches everyday to relieve back pain and restore movement in thoracic spine. See more stretches for mid back pain.